Jan 2, 2012

Out with the.....

....OLD and IN with the NEW. That's what they say...I've heard it in
a few conversations today, on TV and radio ads.
New?  I'm not so sure that new is the better choice. 
Old is weathered and worn and, comfy.
Makes me think of the Velveteen Rabbit.  I love that story.
My mom loved that story and shared it with me as a young adult.
I covet the book she gave my kids and the one I found recently that she obviously loved.
Loved.  Makes it so much better.
I suppose that new has its advantages. No scars, no scuffs, no rips or tears.  Freshly fuzzy.  Yes, Fresh.
But still, I'd take a well loved bowl or spoon or other kitchen tool, dresser, mirror, bottle or jar over a new one, any day.  It has history and it was loved.  It has a past and it meant something to someone.
Yes, I'll take old any day.
(Remind me when I speak with dread  about 'getting old' that I've said this...and yes, I will need reminding).

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'll remind you alright....
    (perhaps this is where I get my love of all.things.vintage?)

    ReplyDelete